Clinical nursing is an advanced field, which means you could also become employed in education and leadership roles. The work covers some common areas including emergency care, pediatrics and geriatrics. There is a high demand for clinical nurse specialists particularly because they are so advanced and are able to work as a primary care provider. But they earn less than physicians which puts them in particularly high demand. For inner cities, this is a particularly important benefit, but also for under-served areas and rural communities. The demand is also for the expertise of clinical nurses, who are able to coach and mentor other nurses, thereby improving health outcomes across the board. There are a number of specializations that are nationally recognized for clinical nurses.
- Track 1-1. Incorporates social capital and resources
- Track 1-2. Oriented to outcomes
- Track 1-3. Best use of information
- Track 1-4. Up-to-date community health nursing knowledge
- Track 1-5. Collaboration with members of other professions and organizations